Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Full Reward: Part II


Here is the second half of what I wrote at the beginning of the summer. Read Part I here.

PART II

I’m convinced that one of the ways God keeps me humble is by taking my carefully organized plans, running them through a shredder, recycling the paper (God is not wasteful, you know), and drawing up entirely new blueprints. He never ceases to surprise me. Case in point: I thoroughly expected to be in the Tyler, TX area for four or five years. After that, we would move to Longview with our two (maybe three by then) perfect children and raise our family in Mayberry East Texas, accents and all. When my “second family” moved to the area, it just sealed the deal. They had lived across the country for two years, and now I was never again letting them out of my sight.

Would you like me to help you plug in that shredder, God?

Rewind a little. At the beginning of the year we both sensed that God was moving us. We weren’t sure where, but we were pretty convinced it was Longview. And since that fit in with my plan (Ahead of schedule! Great!), we began to pursue it. We had made some wonderful friends where we were and we loved our house, but we were just feeling unsettled. So Ryan began applying at schools in the Longview area. After several weeks without so much as a nibble, we let the line rest and decided to discuss our options. Keep in mind, this is the first time we were both seeking God together on a major life decision.

One evening we began talking about church. After three years of marriage we still hadn’t found a church home. We attended church wherever we lived, and had even become bona-fide members of a local Baptist church. We had a Sunday school class. I volunteered in a toddler class at AWANA. Ryan served in the youth group at a neighboring church on Wednesday nights. But we never really planted. And it was killing me. Suddenly I had a thought. I truly believe God placed it in my head. I told Ryan, “I think we’ve been approaching this job thing the wrong way. What if we found a church first, then looked for a job?”

Duh. Why did it take three years to figure that out?

I told Ryan that for several months I had felt a connection with a church I had never attended. It was a new church, and I had only attended a women’s event and listened to a few podcasts. But I knew a few incredible people that called it home, and could see the impact this church was having on families and the community. Jesus liked this church. And I wanted to be a part of it. We were supposed to be a part of it. The only problem? It was in Houston.

All through college and the first two years of our marriage I had been ready to dash back to my roots as soon as the opportunity arose. Can you hear the paper shredding? About a year ago I changed my mind. I had fallen in love with East Texas. I love the way people talk, the cow pastures I pass on the way to Wal-Mart, how the entire town travels with the football team on Friday nights, and the slower pace of life. I really was okay not living in Houston. I wanted to be where I was. Bloom where I was planted, that sort of thing. But this church…I just couldn’t get it out of my mind or off of my heart.

Ryan, who was born and raised in Northeast Texas and was itching for a change of scenery, promptly applied to approximately 47 Houston-area schools. Okay, maybe 8. Or 9. Time to sit back and wait for the phone to ring. And it did. From a school in Longview. Of course, we weren’t going to pass up the interview, but I admit, I was completely confused (and even a bit upset) when they offered Ryan the job on the spot. Wasn’t God pleased with how we were looking for a church first? Didn’t he want us at the amazing one in Houston? Six months earlier, a job in LV would have been a dream come true. I would once again be near my “second family”, cheering for my boys (players and coach) on the sidelines on Friday nights. Rainbows and roses. It was ours for the taking.

I needed clear direction, and fast. I just wanted to make the right decision. I wanted to do what God wanted us to do. While praying and fasting one Wednesday morning, I told God that if He wanted us in Houston, one of those 47 schools needed to call Ryan in for an interview. By Friday. (I was specific.)

God doesn’t mess around. He knows our hearts better than we do, because He created us. He knows when I’m pretending, when my motives aren’t pure, and when I legitimately want to please Him. My earnest prayer that Wednesday was that God would know my heart and would test me to see if there was any offensive way in me. I was willing to shred my own plans, if you will. I think this is what the Bible is talking about in Psalm 37 when it says, “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” My desire was (is!) to please Him. May that always ring true in my heart.

Thursday, the phone rang again. An interview was set up at College Park High School in The Woodlands for the following Monday. I was blown away. I had never even heard of that school, but we both knew it was the one. There have definitely been days where I’ve told myself we’re morons for turning down the job in LV. I get nervous about living in the city again, dealing with traffic, the cost of living, a new job, etc. I miss the cow pastures and my one-red-light town and my friends and I haven’t even packed a box yet. Then I think of our new church and I am filled with peace and deep contentment. After the first visit on Easter weekend, before Ryan even had an interview, we felt at home.

I am overcome with thankfulness and humility that Jesus is allowing us to become a part of this House. He doesn’t need us there. But He will use us if we’re willing. I am so excited about getting plugged in and serving that I can hardly stand it. I am hungry for a church that is on fire in their love for Jesus and His people. And these people aren’t playing games. Someone described it the other night by saying, “We are very awake.” They are on a mission. I can see it on their faces and in their worship and feel it in their hugs. They just want to love God more and love people into the Kingdom. I feel so inadequate to be a part of that, but really, we all are. We’re all imperfect brothers and sisters who strive and fall and lift up and encourage. We all have pasts and pride and weaknesses and brokenness. But we are madly in love with a God who restores and humbles and equips and heals and breathes life into dry bones and loves us unconditionally. He is our very life. And He grants us the immense blessing of doing life together and in communion with Him and for Him. It’s all for Him. He is so faithful and good and worthy.

I am giddy thinking about all that is yet to come. This is just the beginning of our new adventure. How will he grow us in the days, months, and years ahead? All I want is to be more like Him and to love Him wildly. I pray that is Ryan’s desire as well. We move into our new home on June 30. There is another blessing. We were getting so discouraged with housing options, but yesterday God dropped the perfect place in our laps. He went above and beyond our expectations. When we left the leasing office I wanted to cry and sing and shout. I was in awe of his goodness and flat-out kindness. He is just so nice to me, and He doesn’t have to be!

Jesus, thank you. Those words sound so pitiful and trite, but you know my heart. I love you so much. Thank you for loving me and for saving me. You are the wildest ride of my life. Help me to love you more…in a way that is not even natural, so that I can only give you credit for it. Please, please give me a heart of humility. Help me to remember where you brought me from, so that I don’t forget. You are bringing me into a good land. I want to take possession of it. I don’t want to miss one single thing. Jesus, I am overwhelmed by your faithfulness. Mold me into the woman you want me to be. I’m here. Use me, shape me. Make me BOLD for you. Thank you in advance for what you are going to do. You who began a good work in me will see it to completion. I love you so. Let it be.

“Faith is not the clinging to a shrine, but an endless pilgrimage of the heart. Audacious longing, burning songs, and impulse overwhelming the heart, usurping the mind—these are all a drive towards serving Him who rings our hearts like a bell.”                                                                        -Abraham Joshua Heschel

No comments:

Post a Comment