Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"Write This Down."



{The Story} by Bethany

It all started at the beach.

Melissa and I had traveled to Panama City Beach as youth sponsors for church camp. Halfway through the week we took our Bibles and our coffee down to the shore for our scheduled quiet time. Many words have been used to describe the beach: Soothing, relaxing, calm, musical. But those words don’t really capture the feeling of digging your toes into the white powder, smelling (and tasting) the salty air, peering across the navy blue sea trying to see where it ends, and hearing those powerful waves crash consistently on the shore line. All of your senses are engaged and it feels like you are sitting before a private symphony. An involved spectator.

For a while we sat in silence, alternating between reading Scripture and watching a rainstorm. We watched a giant cloud get heavier and darker until it burst at one end, then in the middle, and all the way to the other end until it had emptied itself. Any other setting probably would have offered an obstructed view. A tree or building or even a mountain could have concealed one end of the cloud. But since it was over the ocean, we got to watch the whole show.

Eventually we began talking about camp, relationships, marriage, and life. I honestly don’t remember much of the content, but at some point I decided to share with Melissa something I had written about six weeks earlier. It was a testimony of sorts, the story of God’s grace in my life over the past several months. I told her how when I had shared it with my closest friend and mentor, she had spoken something over me. She told me that I was going to write someday, and probably teach. It may be books or Bible studies, but she was convinced that I am going to write to women in some capacity. I responded with something like, “Ok. Sure…thanks.” Little did I know, Melissa’s friend and ministry leader had once spoken something very similar over Melissa. We chuckled at the irony. Then Melissa said, “Do you want to start a blog?” Um, yes. We briefly discussed content possibilities, and got pretty excited. We could take turns posting. What would the name be? Who would it be for? After a minute it was time to go inside for the evening session.

The Spirit was heavy during the music portion of the service. I wasn’t thinking about the blog until the band started playing “Beautiful Things” by Gungor. The chorus simply says,
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us.

The lyrics are beautiful and true and such a representation of what God has done in both my life and Melissa’s. When I sat down after the song, I leaned over and whispered to Melissa, “That would be a good title for a blog. Beautiful things.” I had no idea that she had prayed God would give us a title for the blog (before leaving camp!) as confirmation that the idea was from Him. She had been about to suggest the same thing! She described it later by saying that the Holy Spirit smacked us both upside the head simultaneously. We instantly began bawling and laughing, unable to decide which emotion was going to win. People were a little embarrassed for us, I think, as we were causing quite a scene. But Jesus had just spoken to us both and confirmed that this was no trite idea, but a vision straight from His mind to ours. So there it was. Beautiful Things.

The only word I can use to describe this time is overwhelming. I have no idea what will come of this blog, how long it will last, or if it will develop into any kind of face-to-face ministry. We don’t want to move unless God moves. We don’t want it to ever become an outlet for creativity or a place to indulge the flesh. “Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.” (Ps 127:1) May it be always, only ALL for Him.

{Revelation 21} by Melissa

After we returned from the beach, Bethany and I began to develop our answer to this word we received. First and most importantly, we got our husbands' blessings, since their stories are intertwined with ours. Next, we sought out advice and prayer from the two women who had whispered the words you're a writer over us individually, years apart, but who "happen" to be sister-friends. (I don't believe in coincidence, by the way...)

Finally, after a week of prayer and discussion, we sat down with our Bibles and mugs of coffee in front of my home computer, and asked each other, "Ok, how do we start a blog?" After an hour of overthinking and dead ends, we prayed and I opened my Bible to the passage that inspired Gungor's song "Beautiful Things:" Revelation 21.
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear for their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also He said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son."

At first, we thought we'd start a little blog to write about our marriage testimonies. As we talked and prayed, the vision grew. Then Revelation 21 blew it up. We felt an eternal purpose for the first time since "Beautiful Things" was born. God rescued me and made me new and there's more to come.

As Bethany and I share our stories, our intent is to stand as witnesses that God's faithfulness never fails. He is Redeemer. He is Healer. He has eradicated the old things in my life, and He has made me new. No area was left untouched: my marriage, my personal baggage from childhood, the way I parent, even the fundamental purpose of my life was changed. And that is a story that needs telling.
The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. {Revelation 22:17}

3 comments:

  1. I think it is awesome to see God moving in your lives like this! He will receive glory and honor and you will be blessed for it. So proud of y'all for trusting God and following His promptings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very proud of you both. I can see it now. Women will be drawn to the authenticity of Gods work in your lives. Loved that u shared your humble yet awe inspiring beginnings. It shouts "hope" and "future". Jeremiah 29:11. And so much more. God bless you both on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding you to my blog roll! Jesus, bless this little online space!

    ReplyDelete